I love gifting homemade gifts, especially baked goods. This year I decided I would change it up a little with including candies. I have to say so far so good. These butter mints are so easy, fast, and good I am considering keeping them as a regular holiday activity.
Ingredients for Butter Mints
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
1/4 cup of softened butter unsalted
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3 1/4 cups of powdered sugar + 1/4 cup on the side if you need more
1/3 cup of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 of peppermint extract- Be very careful with any kinds of mint extracts. They can go from just prefect flavor to WOW way to much in a heart beat.
food coloring– I used gel coloring. It distributes nicely into the dough and it is not as wet as the food coloring you get in the spice isle at the grocery store. It also comes in a lot of colors
- Mix the butter in the mixer for about a minute.
- Add a cup at a time of the powdered sugar while mixing. This way the sugar will not fly everywhere.
- Once the sugar is added, now add the sweetened condensed milk, the peppermint extract and the food coloring.
- Mix until it all comes together if the dough is sticky or wet this is the time to add the extra sugar.
- Now this is the fun part. Remember playing with Play-Doh as a kid? And you would make long skinny snakes? This is exactly what you are going to do next. Take a piece of the dough, using your hands roll it out on the(clean) counter about a foot long “snake” About the thickness of your finger.
- Now take the pizza cutter and cut the “snake” into pieces.
- Put the pieces on a cookie sheet and let them air dry over night.
- These candies will stay good for a couple of weeks in a air tight container.
These Butter Mints were so easy I made another batch right after the first. With the help of the 11 year old son I got both batches on the drying sheets in less than an hour.
Are you making any homemade gifts this year? I would love to hear about them.
Thanks for stopping by.